Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Adopt a Pet, Don't Buy!

Puppies are so adorable, cute, and cuddly. But lets face it, sooner or later all puppies grow up and turn into full-sized dogs. By adopting a grown, homeless dog, we'll surely miss out on a few months of soft puppy fur but we'll also skip the first year or two of razor-sharp teeth, shredded shoes, and pee-soaked floors. Hmm. Sounds like a pretty good trade off to me.

The Wag’s boys, Redd, Lincoln, and Claude are all rescues with different stories:


Redd was given up twice to the MCSPCA and we found each other when he was a wild two-year old who never learned how to walk on a leash. He stuck his nose through the chain-link cage and I broke the rules and stuck my fingers right back in to scratch his fuzzy cheek. He grumbled and fell asleep. Redd came to live with me the next day and has since become a huge people-lover, squirrel chaser, and perfect gentleman on his leash.



Lincoln is a bit of a different story. He was bred by an amateur just to make some cash. Stuck in a crate all day and night with his brother, he only ate what was leftover since he was the little guy. They pooped and peed where they slept and ate. When his breeder was evicted from his apartment, they had nowhere to live. We intervened and took him in, then found his brother a home the week before his bed would be ready at the shelter. Lincoln was scrawny fella with a monstrous head, protruding ribs, and skin issues from malnourishment. He’s a lovable beast of a dog who hates leashes, ate his own poop for the first six months, snores like an old sailor, and we wouldn’t want him any other way!


Claude, Link and Redd’s adopted cousin, is apparently the world's most perfect dog who knows all commands, never misbehaves, and has been a pleasure to his family since his adoption at two years old. He aims to please. A real brown-noser. A perfect foil to Link. Everything Link is, well, Claude is quite the opposite. From what I hear, Claude is so good that if has a bit of a queasy stomach, he holds it and waits at the door patiently to be let out onto the grass. Whatever, Claude. Butt-kisser. Link prefers just open his mouth to spew and get it all over with the moment it hits him. Good for you Claude, you really are a good boy!


Who knows where these dogs would have ended up and I sleep well at night knowing they’re safe and snoring with full chubby bellies after a day of chasing tennis balls and barking their heads off at the neighbors. These guys are the happiest they can be.


The point is, have a little patience. The perfect adoptable dog is out there -- there's even quite a few puppies. Take the time to visit a few shelters to find your best friend. You never know who you might find!

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone. A reader is having trouble posting comments, and those comments above were testers. I don't delete anything anyone writes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your post on Spark... I am for adoption, but those dogs for sale live no more of a comfortable life than shelter dogs. In fact, the cages are often smaller. When people start realizing that pure-bred "perfect" dogs are no better than shelter dogs, maybe it will become more mainstream to adopt.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree about adopting. All my dogs and cats are either adopted or found. As long as people keep buying dogs, the puppy mills will keep selling them. It has to end somewhere. I agree that those dogs sold by puppy mills live a terrible life but by purchasing them we are keeping the puppy mills going. They will never stop as long as they are making money. I have seen many purebred dogs in shelters, so if you are set on a particular breed please check the shelters first, you may find what you are looking for and it may not even turn out to be what you thought you wanted!
    -Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, never having had a dog before (I am 54 now), five years ago I decidied I wanted a small dog. I had never had a dog before in my life. I researched different breeds and decided that a Poodle would suit my clean freak of a husband (NO HAIR IN MY HOUSE!!!!LOL). I went to the local shelters, nothing that was small or poodle. So, I happened to see a small ad in the want ads for poodles. Not knowing anything about puppy mills or cruelty to animals, I went right out there. Well, this lady had some lovely puppies. But I was just a little uneasy and I couldn't put my finger on why. So I asked to see all of her dogs and where she kept them, because hey, she was wanting 400.00 for this puppy! We got there to where she had all her dogs and there was a little apricot puppy about 4 months old, that locked eyes with me and it was over for this Southern Belle. I was flat out in love. She didn't want to sell her because she was going to use her for a brood sow (yes that is what she called her). That is when I knew that she was a snarky bitch and I was going to get that puppy no matter what. I asked her to let me hold the dog and she said no, she never lets her brood sows out of the cage! OMG! That poor dog had never set foot on the ground, and yes, I knew then that she must be using the bathroom right in the same cage she was living in and eating in. Well after throwing a snot slinging fit and calling the cops and causing all kinds of trouble, I got the dog. And she is my precious little April. I now know about puppy mills and cruelty and all kinds of things I wish I didn't, but I do not regret buying April. I subsequently got this woman arrested and her operation shut down. so that is my story on buying vs. adoption. Some people just have no knowledge of things that are in this world and so therefore, in their ignorance, they perpetuate the problems.

    Mary in Alabama, loving on my Poodle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more! I don't understand why humans 'buy' dogs... when there are so many of us waiting at the shelters, some in death row....
    Good job, Mary on saving April though. And kudos for getting that sorry human being arrested and shutting down the weretched business. *woof*

    ReplyDelete
  8. We, DH and I, train and show dogs for breed conformation, obedience , and agility. Our breed has few puppies in a litter, two or three is average. We have fewer than 1 litter a year (last whelp was Dec 2006) and our puppy contract states we take back for the life of the dog. For the past year I have been caring 100% $$ for I dog I placed while the owner changes jobs and relocates. No dog that comes from my breeding will ever be in a shelter. My dogs live in my house and sleep in my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. It is nice to adapt a pet. I highly recommend it to everyone. I learn a lot from your post and I hope you will continue posting. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i completely agree with your view point. one should adapt a pet and should feel the responsibility of caring them properly.
    Dog Food Supplements

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adoption is good thing for both the puppies at the shelter and also for you! It's a lot cheaper than buying a new puppy. Those puppies need loving families. :)

    .........................................................................
    Dog Gates, FAST SHIPPING Wide Dog Gates, Tall Dog Gates, Free Standing Pet Gate

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree. It is nice to adapt a pet. I highly recommend it to everyone.
    Thanks for post.
    Dog Walker Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete